Haas suffered a difficult start to the 2025 Formula 1 season after finishing at the bottom of the timing sheets in both Friday practice sessions at the Australian Grand Prix.
Haas played its cards close to its chest in pre-season testing, committing to high-fuel run plans and avoiding quali sims, a tactic that paid dividends last year.
Speaking on Thursday, Esteban Ocon was in good spirits heading into the Australian Grand Prix, noting that Haas had discovered issues in testing but had a clear path.
“I think our first two days of the test, we felt very good with the car,” Ocon told select media including Motorsport Week.
“It was very solid, I was happy with it.
“The last day was a bit more difficult for us. We know exactly where we have to improve straight away and where the strong point of the car is.
“It is very clear to us, which is a very good thing. From the first day, we’ve managed to put the finger on where we needed to improve, and that’s good.”
Despite the former Alpine driver remaining confident, the cracks began to appear for Haas in Australia.
First, Oliver Bearman crashed heavily during FP1 as he lost control of his VF-25 into the gravel trap before careering into the barriers.
The British driver wasn’t able to return to the track with his Haas car, requiring repairs, and he missed the second practice session as the team was forced to change the gearbox and engine due to extensive damage.
Ocon didn’t fare any better on the other side of the garage, finishing 19th in both Frdiay sessions, as it became apparent the Banbury-based squad had not managed to improve in the areas previously mentioned by the Frenchman.

Haas chief reflects on ‘pretty difficult day’
Team Principal Ayao Komatsu admitted that he was left surprised by the team’s showing on Friday.
“Today was a pretty difficult day; it wasn’t the performance we were expecting,” Komatsu said.
“We have one indication as to why in FP1, but Ollie crashed, so we couldn’t completely get to the bottom of why we were uncompetitive.
“So we need to make another step tonight and then do the best we can tomorrow.”
After missing out on crucial track time, Bearman offered an explanation as to why he suffered a huge shunt on the streets of Melbourne.
“It wasn’t a case of feeling, honestly,” he said.
“The feeling was good, I think just wanting a bit too much too soon.
“It is just kind of my approach isn’t the right one for F1.
“In F2, you go straight to quali after the first practice session; in F1 you have two more [practice sessions].
“So there’s no need to be straight on the limit.”
Ocon, however, was once again looking on the bright side as he felt Haas had made strides forward after the opening day.
“We did a really good step from FP1 to FP2,” the 28-year-old explained.
“Yes, it doesn’t look shiny on the timing page, that’s very true, but the car improved quite well from FP1 to FP2.
“There are still some things that we know we can find, and there is margin for us to improve.”
Given the absence of qualifying runs in testing, it remains to be seen whether Friday was a true indicator of Haas’ underlying pace, or a sign of more troubles to come.
No doubt the squad will be looking to bounce back in qualifying.
READ MORE: Is Haas ready to bounce back from testing failures?